Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

2 questions 2 lawsuits?? 1. I live in California and a friend

2 questions 2 lawsuits??
1. I live in California and a friend was on my boat in 2006 7 years ago a big wave hit the boat she was the only person who didn't hang on and fell on her back. she was hurt. Can she sue me now??
2. I had gallbladder surgery a few months ago, should have been no big deal the surgeon nicked my bowel and I was in the hospital 6 days and off work 6 weeks. Is this a lawsuit?
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation.

No. The statute of limitations to sue for personal injury is TWO YEARS under Civ. Proc. §335.1 in California. Since this occurred in 2006, she is too late. She cannot sue.

Possibly. To sue in a state court, one needs to have a "cause of action." There are numerous causes of action, such as "breach of contract," "negligence," "fraud," "unjust enrichment," etc., as well as causes of action rooted in statutory law. Every state has their own although they are very similar to each other in every state.

Here, this may "professional negligence," which is the term for medical malpractice.

"The elements of a cause of action in tort for professional negligence are: (1) the duty of the professional to use such skill, prudence and diligence as other members of his profession commonly possess and exercise; (2) a breach of that duty; (3) a proximate causal connection between the negligent conduct and the resulting injury; and (4) actual loss or damage resulting from the professional's negligence." Burgess v. Superior Court, 831 P. 2d 1197 - Cal: Supreme Court 1992.

The good news is that most of these are settled by insurance way before litigation even begins.

May I recommend the CA Bar referral program - here. The attorneys are vetted and qualified. You should be able to find an attorney you are confident with and whom you can trust, and who is available ASAP.

The attorney should take this on a contingency basis, meaning they do not get paid unless you do. Usual set up is their take is 33% settlement, 40% win at trial, 45% at appeal; plus some office costs. Everything is negotiable.

Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)