Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

Hello. I have been paying off a debt to a friend in $500 monthly

Hello. I have been paying off a debt to a friend in $500 monthly payments. I've paid him over $20, 000 thus far and I recently got a new job making less money. I can only affors $200 a month. As long as I keep making payments is there anytbing legally he can do to me. I can't afford more and am giving him all I can.

Can they sue to try and get more monthly? Even though this was just a verbal agreement that I've been tirelessly paying for over 2.5 years
Expert:  Zachary replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

How much was the loan for?

What were the repayment terms?

Is there any interest being charged to you?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Please call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX as I can explain quickly...if that's possinle

Expert:  Zachary replied 9 months ago.
I'm sorry, we are not allowed to contact you outside this forum.

If you want to continue, you will have to do so here. If not, let me know and I will refer you over to customer service for a refund.

-ZDN
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Ok..complicated..but quick breakdown

I dated a crazy woman

This woman actual went to prison for fraud

When we were dating she had her aunt send her $59, 000

The money was sent to my account

At the time it seemed fine as the aunt voluntarily semt the money

Upon receiving the money I withdrew and gave to the crazy gf

She said she was going to take care of her aunt since her aunt could no longer take care of herself

Soon thereafter the crazy gf goes nuts and hoots the aunt

The aunt wants her money back

Crazy gf obv keeps it

Year later after fearing for my life I flee the crazy woman

I was homeless for awhile because of this crazy woman

Only days agter fleeing and while homeless the aunt gets a holdbof me and tells me that the crazy girl has been arrested

She senses my complete deterioration as a human and tells me that if I sign a paper sayinh that I owe her the money...that she wouldn't press charges against me

Being depressed and homeless...I do

Ober a year later I finally get a job..

The aunt tells me I must start paying her

Out of fear I do..and have been ever since

I've paid over $15, 000 in 2 years

I can't afford $500 a month anymore as I have a family

I offered her $200 a month or a payoff of around $8000 jist to rid myself of this god awful situation

She says if I pay any less than $500 or $13, 000 payoff that she will jow sue me

I don't know what to do. I've paid all these years out of fear and feeling terrible that this poor old lady got screwed. But its hurting my family and I'm tired of paying this crazy woman's debt from the money she stole

Please help me understand my options

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Any thoughts yet pal?

Expert:  Zachary replied 9 months ago.
Thanks and sorry for the delay in response.

So, this really is not a loan, its a settlement.

Did the crazy girlfriend go to jail for the fraud concerning the $59K?

Is the aunt the one who pressed charges against her?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No it was fraud for several other cases. Us marshals were after her for years and I had no idea.

I just want to know that if I keep paying her..regarsless of the amount. ..am I showing good faith and ami legally ok?

Or do I need to keep it $500?

Expert:  Zachary replied 9 months ago.
There is nothing here that would protect you even if you continued paying $500 per month.

Where there is no written settlement agreement, then you have no real protection from them deciding to press charges or file suit.

However, you have a good faith argument that you don't owe the money. From what I understand from your scenario, the aunt gave the GF the money. It was a gift, not a loan. It was deposited into your account and you gave it to the GF. You did not spend it.

I don't think you are legally obligated to pay this money back to the aunt. She can try and sue you, but you can claim that it was a gift. You did not ask for the money. You did not promise anything in return for the money. The money was simply placed in your account by the GF, and you gave it to the GF. You did not spend the money or use it for anything. Even if this is fraud by the GF, there does not seem to be any agreement on your part to assist in the fraud or knowledge that there was fraud before you parted with the money.

Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs