Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

Hello Lucy, I am finishing up contempt paperwork. Is it appropriate

Hello Lucy, I am finishing up contempt paperwork. Is it appropriate to ask for a judgement of money? My ex has kept my daughter for a total of 47 days of my visitation. I would like to be reimbursed for the extra travel she has caused. I have already made the 13 round trips to pick her up and now have to make up for those trips. My ex has also recently asked that none of the family on my side contact my daughter on my daughters phone.

Yes, you can ask for any expenses you have incurred as a result of the contempt. A person is also allowed to ask the judge to impose sanctions, which is basically a penalty for defying the court's order. Sanctions are usually in the form of money.

There is nothing in the law that would prevent members of your family from contacting your daughter, with your permission, unless he got a court order.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I total up the miles round trip and ask for that amount in fuel or do I need receipts?
If you have a spreadsheet or list showing the days you drove and how far you went, you can request your mileage. The current standard mileage rate, set by the IRS, is 56.5 cents per mile. If you were specifically requesting gas instead of miles, then you would need receipts.