Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I am am a Certified Massage Therapist. I have been Certified

I am am a Certified Massage Therapist. I have been Certified and able to be licensed by the City in which I live for over 6 years. Recently when renewing my License the Sheriffs Department Denied my renewal. Over 10 years ago I was going threw difficult time and had got into trouble receiving a Felony Conviction, and Rehab. The person I spoke to with City informed me that she had to speak with Business Licensing, and that because they have Licensed my for the past 7 years there should be no problem. However, if there is and they refuse to License me what rights do I have?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

When you initially applied to be licensed in the City where you live, did you disclose this felony conviction?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Because so much time had gone by since conviction I didn't.

Thank you for your follow up.

Did the original application have a question as to whether you were ever convicted of a crime??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. And I didn't explain the Felony

I am assuming that you are also licensed by the state as a massage therapist?

Is you are, did you disclose the felony conviction when you applied for your state license?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I didn't disclose Felony conviction in 2004. I have no problem disclosing this to the Sheriff Department, however the City may request information to make this decision. Can they? The sheriffs department denying my license...can they do that because of Felony. Or would they deny due to not stating it over 7 years ago? Can they deny me anyway even if they know what the felony was?

Thank you for your follow up.

I am afraid that this situation is extremely serious.

Unfortunately, under California law, someone who is convicted of a felony is not qualified to possess a license to be a massage therapist, unless the person obtains a full pardon from the Governor for the felony conviction.

Unfortunately, the city will notify the state and it is more than likely that the state will revoke your professional massage therapist license.

Furthermore, the fact that you failed to disclose this felony conviction when you applied for your state license and your city license and continued to practice as massage therapist for several years, can expose you to civil and criminal liability.

At this point, it is extremely important that you do not discuss this matter with anyone, until you have consulted and retained a local criminal defense / administrative law attorney and you should closely follow your local attorney's advice.

I am sorry to deliver this tough news to you, but please do understand that I do have professional obligation to provide customers with correct answers, even when the answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck!

Do you have any related follow up questions for me?