Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

Is it legal for a town to add late charges on a utility bill

Is it legal for a town to add late charges on a utility bill that they "try" to mail out on the last business day of the month, on the 15th of the month. Only two weeks after the bill is even made? Only two weeks to have a utility bill paid before a 10% penalty is added.

Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating. If there are no other questions in this regard then I thank you in advance for your positive rating

it is not illegal. However, your recourse to oppose this is attend a town council meeting, have this matter placed on the agenda and state your objections to it. You might want to talk to other residents and try to get a few of them to help support you on this and rally around the cause to have the billing system changed.