Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.
8370490

My girlfriend and i have been together for 9yrs. We have bought

My girlfriend and i have been together for 9yrs. We have bought a house together,same phone plan,same insurance house and car.We know each others familys.We have holidays and trips together.We were exclusive to each other.I would say we are common law marriage. She has inheritied a large amount of money. Am i entitled to any of this money?
Hello JACUSTOMER<

Unfortunately not. While Colorado does recognize common law marriages, property that is acquired by an inheritance is considered to made individually to a person unless the will specifies otherwise. In other words it is not considered "marital property." If the deceased's will states only that the money goes to your girlfriend alone, you have no legal claim to any part of the money.

Thomas