Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

was my privacy act violated when i was recently at the CVS,to

Customer Question

was my privacy act violated when i was recently at the CVS,to have a presricption filled.
The pharmact came out from the back,and asked me was i taken the drug for maintenance,also he said he was looking at my profile and he would make sure that no CVS would ever filled this prescription,again very loud in front ofall the customers coworkers Or was it a violation as well for hippa law,ive already contacted corporate.
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 3 years ago.

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Was the specific medication or condition that this medication is treating mentioned, or was it more general (without reference to the name of the medication / condition)>?

JACUSTOMER-belzmrt8- :

This is a controlled substance prescribed by my doctor. I feel my rights where violated when he yelled out are you useing this as a maintenance drug,and speakin out loud of my profile,instead of calling my doctor.PRIVACY ACT.

ScottyMacEsq :

Can you tell me what state this is in?

JACUSTOMER-belzmrt8- :

MARYLAND

ScottyMacEsq :

And to be clear, the name of the medication was not actually mentioned, nor the condition that it was treating?

JACUSTOMER-belzmrt8- :

Thanks pleasee call me XXXXXXXXXX if you can refer me to an attorney

ScottyMacEsq :

Unforatunely I am not allowed to call you, email, fax, text, etc... outside of this website (per the terms of service of the site). I can only talk to you through this site.

ScottyMacEsq :

Did you see my previous question? That is, "And to be clear, the name of the medication was not actually mentioned, nor the condition that it was treating?"

JACUSTOMER-belzmrt8- :

ifyou can please refer me to an attorney XXXXXXXXXX in the state of Maryland.

ScottyMacEsq :

Another thing that we cannot do is make specific referrals to attorneys, although I can direct you to a directory or service. But I am trying to answer your specific question regarding your situation. Do you no longer wish to have an answer to that question (about what, if any, rights were violated?)

ScottyMacEsq :

(this is not a referral service, but rather a question answering service...)

ScottyMacEsq :

I am going to switch to Q&A so that we can better communicate.

ScottyMacEsq :

(please press F5 or the refresh button to see the change)

JACUSTOMER-belzmrt8- :

no only was i taken it for for maintenance drugs,in the state of Maryland you are not suppose to dicusss the paitient or customers busy at the front counter he was yeliing and acting unprofessionally he was suppose to call the doctor for all questions about the precription.

JACUSTOMER-belzmrt8- :

no only if i was taken it for maintenance drugs all questions about prescriptions have any questions call the doctor notb

JACUSTOMER-belzmrt8- :

no privacy act was violated all calls should be made to the doctor not the customer or patient

JACUSTOMER-belzmrt8- :

he insulted me in front of staff and all the customers CVS corporate office are very professional.Thanks for your help.

I have switched to Q&A so that we can communicate better.

Again, I want to stress that this is not a referral service (we're prohibited from making specific referrals) although we can direct you to one. This site is for the service of answering questions.

I am trying to get more information pertaining to your situation to give you an idea of your rights, if any, and if any law was broken by this individual.
Please click F5 so you can switch to Q&A and we can continue to communicate.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you were great Thanks

When you mention "the privacy act", do you mean HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act)? There are provisions in that law that relate to privacy. Is that the privacy act that you're referring to? (The reason that I ask is that there is no law in Maryland that is simply named "The Privacy Act", and if you're referring to a specific law, I do want to tailor my answer to address that specific reference).