TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

I am an OB/GYN. I resigned from my position as a hospital

Customer Question

I am an OB/GYN. I resigned from my position as a hospital employee. As my final work day approaches, the hospital I work for is claiming that I must purchase a Malpractice Tail according to my contract. This would cost me $50,000. I told them that this is not possible. They have come back and said if I provide them proof of continued policy coverage, they would forget about the Tail. This is also not cheap. Especially, since I am considering leaving medicine altogether. What are the risks of not carrying a tail or continued coverage personally? What can the hospital do if they think I have violated the contract?
Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

If you are required to purchase a malpractice tail when leaving the hospital's employment pursuant to your contract, then failing to do so would trigger the hospital's claim for breach of contract. Their damages for this would be to sue you for the cost of purchasing the tail to cover you.

Of course, the other risk of not having continued coverage or a tail is that if there is a malpractice suit, you will be exposed to liability on the claim without insurance coverage.
Expert:  TexLaw replied 3 years ago.
Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,