LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

We paid an online wedding planner, for a destination wedding

We paid an online wedding planner, for a destination wedding in Key West, with minister, photos, video, flowers, etc. Had to be paid up front. The minister handled all the details calling it a stress-free wedding on the beach. Even filing the license. He was not very communicative during the months after being paid. I heard from him 3 times in 7 months. Two weeks before the wedding (6/15/13), he emailed me an itinerary of the wedding (photos/videos, transport to the beach, etc). We physically meet face to face the day before so I can hand him music, favors, etc. I'm feeling better at this point. The day is here, and the photo guy and video guy are taking pics. Flowers are a no show. The photographer leaves to pick them up.(they look almost dead). We get on the trolley to the beach and when we get there, we're told that they aren't set up yet and have to wait. In a trolley with no a/c in 88 degree weather with a long wedding dress in! Ok we have the wedding and its beautiful. I'm dazed because its finally here. We go to the reception and the minister takes the license (we got the license in the county we live in Levy). He says it will take up to 39 days to get processed.
Ok, it is now July 18. 33 days from the day we married, and no license! I called Key West Court house and they said they have no record of it. They said call Levy county. Levy county says though they have a record of us buying the license, there is no record of the minister sending it. They said to contact the minister. And my problem is that he will not return phone calls, texts or emails! What is my recourse?
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Just to be clear, the filing of the license was included in the fee which you paid to the wedding planner?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. We paid 93.00 for the license, but he was in charge of filing it with the state.
Thank you for the additional information. If he was in charge of filing the license with the State of Florida and failed to do so, pursuant to the contract, there would be a breach. As such, you would have a legal right to sue for damages and the cost to correct their error. In this case, you would likely have to obtain a new license from the clerk, so that it could be properly filed, assuming that the one you gave him can not be found nor if he is willing to even respond to your calls, emails and texts. In an ideal situation, he would respond and resolve this but if he is unwilling to do so at this time, you can make one more effort, to contact him in writing, via certified mail and explain that if he does not file the license as promised in the contract, you will be forced to sue for damages. There is no reason that this should not and can not be done but a potential lawsuit, may force him to act. If he does not, then you could try and sue for damages or take it upon yourself to obtain a new license, advising the clerk/state that this was lost by the minister and you need to have it filed, so it is of record.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.