Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

What laws are there (if any) in CA, the City of San Diego,

What laws are there (if any) in CA, the City of San Diego, and at the Federal Government concerning withholding legal documents (birth certificate, passport, SSN card, etc) of a family member? What are the law numbers, and various reference information so I can find it? What are the penalties of a breaking of such laws?
Thank you for your question, I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

What are you talking about specifically by "withholding legal documents" since these documents are available to the owner by requesting duplicates?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A friend of mine's Grandmother is refusing to release his documents (SSN card, Birth Certificate, and Passport).

He called her numerous times, and checked through her window (she was there, and hanging up on his phone calls so he never got through to her).

He has obtained duplicate copies of the documents some time ago, and it's my understanding that he can't request any further duplicates.

Regardless, he's an adult, and she's refusing to give his documents to him. Is there a law in regards XXXXX XXXXX and if so, what is it?

Thank you.

Thank you for your response.

First, he can request additional duplicates of the documents stating they were "lost or stolen."

Second her keeping the documents from him is considered to be theft in CA, CA penal code 484, and it is punishable by up to 12 months in jail for each count (each item stolen) as she has shown an intent to permanently deprive him of them by refusing to return them. He needs to file a criminal complaint for theft with the police and get a police report number and with that number he can get duplicates.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.