Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.

Hello there, (For identity protection reasons, I would like

Hello there,

(For identity protection reasons, I would like to refer to my full maiden name as "Kasey Cohen" & my possible married name as "Kasey Buehsey". For reference, I am from Eaton County, Michigan.)

I would like to list my "intended name" on my marriage license as "Kasey Buehsey" but not change my maiden name with the social security office or other legal documents, so that I can continue to legally use my maiden name of "Kasey Cohen" for professional purposes.

However, I would like the ability to legally refer to myself as "Kasey Buehsey" on school records for my future children & socially.

Am I legally allowed to use both names whenever I choose to, as long as my bank accounts, work records, & taxes are under my maiden name? (or do I even have to do that?)

Basically, I ask because I dislike my possible married name, but my Fiancé is relatively instant that I take his name, despite wanting to retain the legal ability to use my maiden name when I see fit. I know that this is legal in British Columbia (I have a friend there), & this is why I ask.

Also, if this is illegal for me to do, if I hyphenate my name it "Kasey Cohen-Buehsey" am I allowed to go by "Kasey Cohen" &/or "Kasey Buehsey" whenever I want to & sign only one of my two names depending on the situation?

Thank you very much!
"Kasey"
Submitted: 12 months ago via USmarriagelaws.
Expert:  Alexia Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Hi, Kasey, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing law for 19+ years and look forward to assisting you. I am working on your question(s) and will post my answer once it is complete. Thanks!
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Great, thank you!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I also wanted to ask that you respond by tonight (please please!) because we are applying for our marriage license tomorrow!

Hi again, and thank you Kasey,

Hello there,

(For identity protection reasons, I would like to refer to my full maiden name as "Kasey Cohen" & my possible married name as "Kasey Buehsey". For reference, I am from Eaton County, Michigan.) OK.

I would like to list my "intended name" on my marriage license as "Kasey Buehsey" but not change my maiden name with the social security office or other legal documents, OK, Kasey Cohen, it sounds like, will remain on all of your legal documents, except your marriage license.

so that I can continue to legally use my maiden name of "Kasey Cohen" for professional purposes. You can generally use whatever name you wish, regardless of which is on any particular legal document. Legally speaking. For practical reasons, occasionally that can throw a wrench into things, but it is not illegal to call yourself and introduce yourself as you see fit, unless for fraudulent purposes or some other illegal purpose.

However, I would like the ability to legally refer to myself as "Kasey Buehsey" on school records for my future children & socially. I do just this myself. As a lawyer, when I married, I did not wish to legally change him name to my husband's, while my professional license, etc., is in my maiden name. So, I legally changed nothing. When I signed my kids up for school, (and take them to the doctor), I made sure to include somehow the married last name, since that is their last name. They didn't check my ID, so it was not an issue. Moreover, they are not unfamiliar with this. When I call the school I always use my married name, so there is no confusion - they know which kid is mine with ease. Keep in mind, I did not write my husband's last name as my intended on my marriage cert. The marriage cert. will typically include your maiden name simply because it ties you (and existing identity) to this marriage. And intended married name need not become your legal name on drivers license, SS card, etc. Your marriage cert., however, does generally entitle you to an easy way of changing these other documents TO a married name, should you choose to, instead of having to file a court petition to do so. Those that don't marry and get that automatic method, generally have to petition the court for a 'legal' name change, and that Order is then used by them to change SS card, which is then used to change DL, etc.

Am I legally allowed to use both names whenever I choose to, Generally, yes. as long as my bank accounts, work records, & taxes are under my maiden name? (or do I even have to do that?) You can change whatever you wish. However, your bank will typically need to see ID that matches what name you want on your account, and a marriage cert. will not suffice to allow you to put a married name on it if it differs from your SS card and your DL.

Basically, I ask because I dislike my possible married name, but my Fiancé is relatively instant that I take his name, That is a shame.

despite wanting to retain the legal ability to use my maiden name when I see fit. You can use it as you wish - just remember that on very legal items, when we need to show ID to show we are who we purport, we will want them to match.

I know that this is legal in British Columbia (I have a friend there), & this is why I ask. Not illegal here either.

Also, if this is illegal for me to do, if I hyphenate my name it "Kasey Cohen-Buehsey" am I allowed to go by "Kasey Cohen" &/or "Kasey Buehsey" whenever I want to & sign only one of my two names depending on the situation? Sure, you can do that also. Interestingly, sometimes, because I am not sure what the entity has me at, I may put First Maiden (Married) (sometimes hyphenated) or vice versa, so they know to look for both. I have never, ever, ever, had a problem, 10 years later and 2 children later.

Thank you very much!
"Kasey"You are welcome! Signed "Alexia" lol.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thank you for the information!

Just out of curiousity, if we create IRA's in both of our names &/or get a joint mortgage (him name listed as "Matthew Buehsey" & mine "Kasey Cohen" since I'm assuming that I would have to use the name on my social security card, correct me if I'm wrong) if I later decided to take my married name alone & drop my maiden name, will this 1) always be an available option to me through the social security office no matter how many years down the road I decide to make the change 2) can I change my name on my health insurance, IRA accounts & mortgage, at any time after the legal name change with SS without if effecting anything?

(btw, you can't imagine how excited I am to hear your advice, I was so afraid I couldn't have my cake & eat it too lol. So it's lovely to hear that I can basically go by whatever name I please, at any given time I choose, as long as I am remaining consistent legally in regards XXXXX XXXXX official documents).

I just want to be sure I won't be a fraud if I decided to use either name socially or signing relatively non-official things, & I want to be sure that if I make a decision on my legal name now & change it later my life won't be 10x a living hell (& if it will be, feel free to admit that to me).

Good morning!

Just out of curiousity, if we create IRA's in both of our names &/or get a joint mortgage (him name listed as "Matthew Buehsey" & mine "Kasey Cohen" since I'm assuming that I would have to use the name on my social security card, correct me if I'm wrong) - That may be likely - your title company that drafts of the documents will want all those Ts crossed and Is dotted, typically.

if I later decided to take my married name alone & drop my maiden name, will this 1) always be an available option to me through the social security office no matter how many years down the road I decide to make the change Yes. See page 8 of this brochure - you will, of course, need to show your proof documents.

2) can I change my name on my health insurance, IRA accounts & mortgage, at any time after the legal name change with SS without if effecting anything? Yes, that should be fine, although the deed to a home will cost you, probably, because a title company or lawyer will again have to be hired. A Refi is likely the best time to change your mortgage info, since it will be a newly created one at that time.

(btw, you can't imagine how excited I am to hear your advice, I was so afraid I couldn't have my cake & eat it too lol. So it's lovely to hear that I can basically go by whatever name I please, at any given time I choose, as long as I am remaining consistent legally in regards XXXXX XXXXX official documents). I understand. It is mostly important to have your government documents (DL, SS Card, etc., consistent - your BC will tie you to your marriage certificate, which will show your husband's last name and your maiden name, and how they are connected, and thus how you derived the right to change it without court order).

I just want to be sure I won't be a fraud if I decided to use either name socially or signing relatively non-official things, No!

& I want to be sure that if I make a decision on my legal name now & change it later my life won't be 10x a living hell (& if it will be, feel free to admit that to me).Oh, not a living hell, but officially changing it in all its applicable places is a pain in the rear, unless you are into annoying errands and forms.

But hey, what we do for love!

Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience: 19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.