How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold some personal items to a friend, we have a verbal agreement.

This answer was rated:

I sold some personal items to a friend, we have a verbal agreement. I have asked her to make payments (since I have already given her the items she agreed to buy). Her boyfriend has emailed me saying he will file a no contact order on me if I ask her to make payments, and that she will contact me when she is ready to make payments. can he do that?

Thank you for your question.

You have every right to try to collect on the money owed to you. However, your collection efforts can cross the line to harassment if you are doing the following:

1. Causing the phone to ring an unreasonable amount of times a day

2. Leaving any sort of threatening messages

3. Calling at odd hours, like before 8 am and after 9 pm

If you are doing these type of things, then you need to stop. It is possible that they can request a "no contact" order from the police, but you will have the opportunity to plead your case.

How much money does she owe you, if I may ask?

Have you thought about simply suing her for the money?
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We agreed upon $1,000.00. I haven't called her, just sent her two short text messages asking her to contact me so we could resolve this issue with the unpaid debt, and that if she refused to contact me and refused to make a payment I would have no other choice but to go to small claims court. That is how he says I am "harassing her and causing stress to her and her unborn child"

That's ridiculous. There is no way that they are going to get a "no contact" order based on those facts.

You have to do something criminal or potentially criminal to justify the court to issue an order against you like this. In this case, you are simply trying to collect a debt. You can continue to do this. However, I think you should proceed to filing the small claims suit.

Do you have anything that establishes the value of the property you gave her other than your own testimony about the verbal agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the old receipts for the items I sold her, but those show a higher value than what we have agreed upon. If I can have my phone company send me all of my old texts with her the amount is in there.

If you have a text from her stating that she agrees to $1,000, then you are solid as far as evidence goes. The text, combined with the receipt and your testimony, will be enough to easily win a small claims suit.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alright, last thing. I don't have her current address. Do I need all of that to file a claim?

Yes you do. That might require some Private Eye work on your part to track her down.

If you know where she or her husband works, its always possible to wait outside and then follow them home in order to get their address. I've had to do that a couple of times myself on cases I've filed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alright thank you.

Best of Luck. I hope this has helped.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions