Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX i have a question. I had made the biggest

Customer Question

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX i have a question. I had made the biggest mistake of my life this past week. I had pressed chargers on my sons father for domestic violence against myself and also told the police that he had pushed me when i was holding our child. The police went to the hospital and had gotten a verbal statment of what happened while our child was checked out. None of what i told the police was true. i was just upset cause i thought he was leaving me with all the bills and the children to take care of myself. Now he has several charges. and child services are involved. I know what i did was wrong and i have never been in trouble with the law. but i cant let an inocent man go to jail. especially he is already on a 1 yrs probation for the similar thing. But this time around all of what i said was not true. I not sure what to do. because i dont want him to go down for this but i also dont wanna loose my two boys. Do i need a lawyer?
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 3 years ago.

TexLawyer :

Good afternoon. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

OK. You have two significant issues going on. There is a criminal issue and a civil/family law issue.

TexLawyer :

To answer your question directly, yes, you need a lawyer.

TexLawyer :

By lying to the police and filing a false police report, you have committed a crime, and that is something you should be concerned with. Moreover, it has caused a child services issue, wich your attorney should be able to help you with, too.

JACUSTOMER-dbtaj2ra- :

So me going to just confess what i had done is or is not a good idea without a lawyer?

TexLawyer :

No, you need to get a lawyer to make sure you are treated fairly and justly by the police and that you are in the best position possible when arguing for probation.

TexLawyer :

Then, you still need a lawyer to help you dispose of the child services case.

TexLawyer :

They need to be equally convinced that what you said happened did not happen.

JACUSTOMER-dbtaj2ra- :

I am a single mother and dont have much money. But i do work at my job full time do u know how much this would cost for a lawyer and if their is one who would accept a payment plan?

TexLawyer :

I can't tell you exactly what a lawyer would cost, but most will take a payment plan. This really has two parts, the criminal and the child services part. I would expect this to be at least a couple of thousand, but I just don't know what lawyers in your area charge.

JACUSTOMER-dbtaj2ra- :

Would I be able to use a public defender without being charged yet?

TexLawyer :

If you simply cannot afford a lawyer right now (and you shouldn't decide that until you meet with a few and see what you can work out), then you have the option of just making an appointment with the investigator assigned to your case and tell him the truth. Just know that doing so may cause you to be charged with a crime.

TexLawyer :

Do you have any questions?

JACUSTOMER-dbtaj2ra- :

ok thank you

TexLawyer :

Glad to help.

TexLawyer :

If I can't do anything else for you, please remember to "rate" my answer. Good luck.

TexLawyer :

Is there something else I can do for you?