Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Hello, I would like to sell prescription eyeglasses online,

I would like to sell prescription eyeglasses online, based in OH, and want to make sure I can do that without an OpticXXXXX XXXXXcense. And am I allowed to speak to the people who are purchasing so I can assist them i.e. having them read me their prescription...etc...

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Will you be making the lenses for the glasses?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will be purchasing the lenses with the prescription in them from a lab, then I will be cutting them to fit into different frames that the patient may choose.

Thank you for your response.

As long as you are not actually making the lenses, which requires a license, you can fit them to frames and sell them online without any license and it is legal to do so. The license is required only if you are going to actually be making the lenses.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate your help and will leave positive feed back. I have been in the Optical field for over 25 years and I didn't know that the lab which actually puts the prescription in the lens (makes the lens) was required to be licensed. I thought it was more like an assembly line.

Anyway, yay for me!! It sounds like I can do just what I was planning to do...have people call me (getting my number from my web site) and ordering frames (they choose from my web site) and then I will buy the lenses with rx already in them (from the lab) and I will cut and edge those lenses to fit the frame they chose, and send them to the customer. Right?

Thank you for the response.

The labs have to be licensed with dispensing opticians and they have lab technicians doing the work. You are not dispensing the glasses, merely fitting the lenses into the frames online and it is not licensed activity.