WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
16356563

I am applying to law school and as part of the application

I am applying to law school and as part of the application I'm being asked if I've been convicted of any crimes or misdemeanors. I did have two charges in Massachusetts but they were continued without a finding.

Is that something I need to disclose? Is it something that would need to addressed for admission to the bar? This is an overstatement of the situation but I wouldn't want to go to law school only to find out I wasn't eligible for admission.

The charges were about 5 years ago - is it typically realistic to try to have them expunged after that kind of timeframe?

WALLSTREETLAW :

Hello I am a licensed attorney. I am here to help answer your questions. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification

WALLSTREETLAW :

This is a common issue,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you should disclose the charges you faced and explain them away,

Customer:

Good day sir - I do appreciate all of the advice you have given me on law school, bar issues, etc...

WALLSTREETLAW :

the reason is that you want them to know the full history, as

WALLSTREETLAW :

when you apply for bar admission,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you will be asked if you have ever been charged with a crime,

WALLSTREETLAW :

and you will have to disclose the information,

Customer:

ahh okay

Customer:

and is it realistic or common at all to be able to expunge them from my record for other purposes?

WALLSTREETLAW :

State law is different, you can try to get them expunged, however, if you have no conviction, and only charges,

WALLSTREETLAW :

it should not hurt your admission,

Customer:

Yep that's good news.

Customer:

Okay well thank you once again for your great advice!

WALLSTREETLAW :

a CWOF may appear as a dismissal on your record, it is never removed from your "Board of Probation" record that is readily accessible to law enforcement. Additionally, if a third party (potential employer, professional licensing board, etc.) performs a full background check, the CWOF may still appear, depending on the level of the check.

WALLSTREETLAW :

So disclosure is needed,

WALLSTREETLAW :

failing to disclose it could be worse, as it could be considered perjury or fraud,

Customer:

Okay that's what I thought

Customer:

Right right

WALLSTREETLAW :

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer:

Okay well thanks again!

WALLSTREETLAW :

If satisfied please provide us with positive feedback, thank you