Thomas Swartz
Thomas Swartz, Attorney
Experience:  Twenty one years experience as a lawyer in New York and New Jersey. Former Appellate Law Clerk.

Hi what are my legal rights if I had naked video chats with someone about 8 years ago and

Customer Question

Hi what are my legal rights if I had naked video chats with someone about 8 years ago and now he is threatening to share these videos with my family and he is blackmailing me. I didn't give him permission to save these videos at the time.
I am now 43 years old single mom.
Expert:  Thomas Swartz replied 3 years ago.

If this person is demanding money, then it may be considered the crime of extortion under Massachusetts law (Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 265, section 25). This being the case, when communicating with the person, you could advise him that sharing these videos with your family would be considered a crime and that if he persists in blackmailing you, you will report the matter to the police and the local prosecutor. Hopefully this will have the effect of scaring him off and stop him from threatening you.

Extortion could also form the basis of a civil lawsuit. So, you could also tell him that if he continues to blackmail and threaten you, you will commence a civil lawsuit for damages.