How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29159
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was convicted of assault by threat several months ago. I

Resolved Question:

I was convicted of assault by threat several months ago. I intended to appeal but was told there was no stenographer or transcript of my trial. Do I have any means of appeal? I thought it was a requirement of all courts to keep records of trials. How can I defend myself from injustice when there is no record if the injustice?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

I was just about to sign off an noticed your question had been pending a while so I wanted to respond and then we can continue tomorrow morning.

I do have a few questions:

Did you have a lawyer?

Do you know if they made a tape recording or digital recording of the trial?

Was it a trial to the judge or a jury trial?

Also, "How can I defend myself from injustice when there is no record if the injustice?" appears to be a rhetorical question. Could you list out your specific questions for me so I can be sure and provide an answer to all of them?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had no lawyer. They said that had no recording or transcript. It was a trial by judge. I recieved a guilty verdict based solely on the testimony of the individual I allegedly assaulted, even though he testified that I did not threaten him or make any threatening gestures. We had an argument and I said, "I'll see you around" and walked away from the confrontation. The statement was not a threat for I was referring to my astonishment I was found guilty. I asked and recorded a conversation with the Lt. Of the CID and he stated the charge was not correct and if he had been on duty at the time there would never have been a warrent issued because according to him I did not commit a crime. Yet the judge has found me guilty and it seems like there are no options for me to clear my name. Any advice would be appreciated. I feel like I'm playing a game against cheaters who define the rules. What can I do?without a transcript how can I prove the trial was flawed, because the burden of proof lies on the state, and they failed to prove anything by even the most laxidasical standards. Thanks
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, if you defended yourself then the burden was on you to be sure that there was a transcript being made. Some courts use tape recorders to make the initial recording and they are later transcribed if there is a request.

What level of court was the trial in? (i.e. Municipal, Justice, Chancery, District, etc)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
Municipal Court is not a court of record unless you specifically request a court reporter. The reason is that the appeal from Municipal Court is either to Chancery Court or County Court, depending on your County, and the appeal is a "trial de novo" which means it starts all over so there is no need for a record. What happened in Municipal Court doesn't matter since it is an entirely new trial so it isn't an "appeal" as most people think of it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I pursue this course of action in Mississippi. What do I need to do?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
You need to look at Rule 12.02 of the Uniform Circuit and County Court Rules. You can see it at

Follow the specific procedures set out in that rule.

However, there is a time limit on appealing, 30 days from the date of judgment. If you missed that deadline then you can try and file a Petition for Post-Conviction Relief but those are extremely hard to do and you are definitely going to want to hire a lawyer for that. You probably want to hire one for the appeal anyway.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On the issue of my defending myself, I was read my Miranda rights when I was arrested. The particular thing that intrigues me is the statement," you have the right to an attorney, if you cannot afford one, one will be provided for you". This was the first time I was ever involved in a criminal sure it was my own ignorance of the way things work but I thought prior to the trial I would have been appointed a lawyer to defend me. Can you explain what I would have had to do to get a lawyer appointed to me since I could not afford one. I was never even asked by the judge if I represented myself. Tell me what I should have done to get my right to an attorney and thus a fair trial.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.
You had to ask for a lawyer to be appointed. The judge would then have checked to see if you qualified due to lack of assets and lack of income and, if so, would have appointed a lawyer for you. However, the burden is on you to ask.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29159
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992
Dwayne B. and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.