Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.
45002201

i was hired may 2013 at a non-union medical supply company

Customer Question

i was hired may 2013 at a non-union medical supply company as a verification specialist. two or three times i was late 3 minutes getting to work b/c mom was ill. Last week mom had a catherization and i got permission to take off that day to be with her and I offered them proof of this and they said go ahead and don't worry about it. I called the job the next day and was out with mom. The job called me back an hour later and let me go. will this be on my permanent record. I just graduated college.
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.

TexLawyer :

Good morning. I'll be assisting you with your question.

TexLawyer :

What do you mean by your "permenant record?"

Customer:

what i mean by permanant record is when future employers do a background check on me will this show up and is this legal. everything was documented --i called each time i was late and offered proof for my mom and they okayed it everytime.

TexLawyer :

When an employer does a records search for you, this will not come up. There is no centeralized database of individual's reasons for leaving certain employment.

TexLawyer :

However, many employers do ask for references and call those referenes directly.

Customer:

i remember signing a pre-employment paper saying that they could fire me for anything at anytime for any reason within the 90 day probation period

TexLawyer :

So, if they do an extensive background and actually follow through with calling your former employers, they will find out whatever your former company wants to tell them.

TexLawyer :

If you submit an application and an employer sees that you were employed less than 90 days, they will see that as a red-flag.

Customer:

is it legal that they let me go even though they gave me consent to do it and i had proof

TexLawyer :

If you were still within your probationary period, yes.

TexLawyer :

They can fire you without any reason whatsoever. That is part of what you agreed to in your employment contract.

TexLawyer :

If you tried to sue them for wrongful termination, they would walk in with the employment contract, say they decided to let you go, and that would pretty much be the end of it. The only way around that is if you could prove that they let you go because of your race or gender.

TexLawyer :

I'm sorry for the bad news, but I wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't give you a straight, honest answer - good or bad.

Customer:

Thank you for your honesty. Now I must start all over and find another job--should i put them on my resume, it was only 2mos and 12 days

TexLawyer :

If I were in your position, I would not put it on my resume.

Customer:

Thank you

TexLawyer :

Glad to help. Again, sorry for the bad news (delivering bad legal news is easily the worst part of my job).

TexLawyer :

If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "rate" my answer before you go.

Customer:

ok

Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience: Experienced in both state and federal court.