Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

A lender with whom I locked a rate 8 weeks ago is asking for

Customer Question

A lender with whom I locked a rate 8 weeks ago is asking for increasingly hard to obtain documents as the lock rate nears expiration. I suspect they're purposefully trying not to fund the loan as the rate change over the last 8 weeks has been so striking. What rights do I have if I've provided all reasonable documents and now their requested documents are unobtainable?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

First, you need to ask the lender for an extension of the lock in writing, since the delays are being caused by them. If you have a good loan officer working with you, they will do so, since these delays are caused by the underwriters and not your loan officer.

Second, I am afraid that (and having just gone through this less than 3 weeks ago myself) that legally you have to provide them everything they are seeking if you want the loan. Your loan officer can argue your case with the underwriters and you can appeal to the underwriters, but the bottom line I am afraid, is that the underwriters are the ones who approve the loans and they refuse to do so without proper documentation and if there is a piece they insist upon that you cannot provide then you need to try to appeal to them and provide them with any other information you have that shows the same thing as the documents you cannot reasonably obtain.

Sadly, these banks have us when we need a loan. It would be next to impossible to prove that they are using a low lock rate as an unfair and deceptive practice to lure people into agreeing to a loan, but if you can get actual evidence of the fact that they are fraudulently advertising a low rate and then delaying things to impose a high rate, then you could file a complaint for unfair and deceptive lending practices against them.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.