How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask John Your Own Question

John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3705
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, Im renting a house in Pennsylvania. The air conditioner

Resolved Question:


I'm renting a house in Pennsylvania. The air conditioner broke 3 days ago and it's been 90+ degrees since. Our landlord has a hx of not responding to calls or emails so we called an AC guy and he says it will need to be replaced for 5000. I forwarded the invoice to her, emailed her a description of exactly what was going on and had the AC guy call her, leave a message and explain the whole thing to her. She didn't call the ac guy back and replied to my email with "that sounds expensive," "I'm very busy" and said that I should call the real estate guy and pretty much figure it out. The real estate guy was a guy who showed us the house when we first started looking for places, he is not a property manager.

My lease lists air conditioning as an included appliance and that the landlord is responsible for repairs.

I've got a 10 month old at home and we're having a hard time.

My questions is can I get out of my lease, if so do I have to wait a certain amount of time before I do, or what are my next steps?

I'd appreciate any assistance you can offer, and thank you for your time.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. The failure of a landlord to maintain the premises in good condition is legal justification for a tenant to take defensive actions, such as moving out (even in the middle of a lease), paying less rent, withholding the entire rent until the problem is fixed, making necessary repairs or hiring someone to make them and deducting the cost from next months' rent. There is no specific amount of time you have to wait before doing any of these except that it must be a "reasonable" time in which you give the landlord to make these repairs before taking any of these actions. A reaonable time in your circumstances by my thought is not very long because you have the 10 month old. My thought would be for you to call the real estate person just to say you followed up on the suggestion. If that doesn't get you recourse, then you could easily break the lease or take any of these other options. You should be aware that none of these actions are perfect or an easy solution. Any of them could cause your landlord to try to evict you or try to sue you for the balance of the lease, but you'd have a solid defense to either action. It may be more difficult to assert your rights if you have not met your responsibilities as a tenant or broken conditions of your lease.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 3705
Experience: Licensed and practicing attorney.
John and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thank you for your rresponse.


we had one more question.



if we end up breaking the lease do we have to leave right away or is there some sort of grace period we get to get our stuff out of the house and find a new place to live?

Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.
If you're going to break the lease it is advisable to get all the property out before you announce your move out to the landlord. There is no grace period per se. What would be ideal is to find a new place, then send the current landlord a letter advising that you intend to break the lease on a particular date if repair is not made before that date. Then, if an when nothing changes, execute your move out. Legally the landlord has no right to deny you access to your property at any time, but can throw it out if it does not appear you'll be returning for it.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.