Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

Me and my wife are going to get a divorce we live in florida,

Me and my wife are going to get a divorce we live in florida, i currently work as a merchant mariner my job is seasonal(winters off) during the season i work a schedule of 4 weeks at work and 2 weeks home, most of time i sent home during a pay period, so my income isnt always as steady as it should be, during my four weeks at sea i recieve a full 2 week pay check and a partial paycheck kf anywhere between a day and 1 weeks pay, when im home i dont recieve any income other than an unemployment check of about 300 a week. What i cant figure out is how will florida determime child support based on my unique way of receiving an income for 2 kids? Ive seen the child support calculators online but i believe that those calculators determine an estimate assuming i make an income year round, it does not take into account the times that i am unemployed during and after the sailing season, i make roughly between 45,000 and 50,000 a year with bonus, vacation pay(which is paid to me once a year) and unemployment
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
What i cant figure out is how will florida determime child support based on my unique way of receiving an income for 2 kids?
.
When a parent has an unusual earnings schedule, such as summers on, winters off, the court will then zoom out to look at tax returns over a few years so as to get a better idea of what the person's typical earnings are.
.
Although they may fluctuate from month to month and season to season, on an annual basis, the court will be able to divide it up into a monthly amount for support that is indicative of the entire year's income. For example if you make all your money in the first 3 months of the year, the court would then take that amount, divide it by 12 and get an average monthly amount to plug into the child support calculator.
.
So since the court will be looking at it on an annual basis, it will be up to the parent to save up payments when income is flowing to pay for times when it drys up.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.