Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

The prosucutor here in nj released my firearms ,however the

The prosucutor here in nj released my firearms ,however the evedence agent won't allow me to pick them up until he does back ground check.how long do I have to pick them up ? When does the clock start ticking?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

There is no set time limit for the evidence agent to conduct a background check in order to clear the release of your firearms, however if the agent does not do it within reasonable time i.e. 30 days, then your attorney can file a Motion with the court to have the court order the release of your firearms to you and once such court order is entered, the evidence agent will have no choice but to comply with the court order.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't have lawyer can I do this myself ?
Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Yes you can file such motion pro se (without an attorney), but you would have to draft your motion and file it with the court.

It might make sense to give the agent some more time, since as long as, you pass the background check, your firearms will be returned to you.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He only has three of nine which I expect to be cleared soon.so I will wait for them all.just making sure I don't miss a dead line .the prosucuter left a message stated the other guns are cleared also .i can trust that things won't change day of court ?
Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

As long as, prosecutor does not object to the return of your firearms and you pass the background check, you would not generally have any issue getting the court to order return of your firearms.

I wish you the best of luck!