Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

Is there any defense if you committed a crime but did not know

Is there any defense if you committed a crime but did not know you committed the crime - business related issues - this is a federal case
Hello there:

Thank you for your question. In most cases, the answer is "no". Ignorance of the law is not a defense in most matters, partially because knowledge of the illegality is difficult to prove beyond a reasonable doubt, and partially because, if ignorance was a defense, it would encourage people to try to remain ignorant about the criminality of their actions. There are a few exceptions with specific crimes where the crime requires proof that the defendant had actual knowledge of wrongdoing, but those are rare exceptions. If you have a specific charge that you would like me to verify, let me know and I can tell you with certainty if ignorance is a defense to that specific charge; just be aware that the odds would ordinarily be very low for any given crime.

I understand that there may be follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.