Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I live in Minnesota. I work for an ambulance service and caused

I live in Minnesota. I work for an ambulance service and caused damage to our ambulance. While going to get my lunch in the vehicle, I scraped against the side of an object (which was not damaged) and causedamage to the paint and decals of the ambulance.

There is no policy or agreement about individual employees paying for damages. Anytime a vehicle has ever been damaged in the past, it was major damage. So there is no precedent in our company either way.

Could I be responsible for the monetary damage?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Did you have permission from the employer to get lunch while driving the ambulance?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes. There is no written policy regarding it yes or no. But our shift doesn't receive a lunch break. So for the past 5 years at least, it has been standard operating procedure with knowledge and acceptance by management.

I see. Thank you for clarifying that for me, Michael.

Since you had at least implied consent from the employer, this would typically be considered damage which occurred in the scope of your employment and the employer would be liable for damages, not the employee. Employers are typically insured for these types of damages.

In addition, MN law normally prohibits an employer from making wage deductions for property damage from an employee's wages unless the employee provides their written consent.

Here is a link to the applicable section of the state code:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.