Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

I have been married 9 years, he left, abandoned me, in June

Customer Question

I have been married 9 years, he left, abandoned me, in June 2012. I haven't seen him since Apr 2013. He is a member of transit union 2 and transit union 689 with WMATA in Washington DC. I am 56 he is 54 do we need to be married for over 10 years in order for me to be eligible for part of his retirement benefits?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

ANDREA, :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with Excellent Service

Customer:

thank you

ANDREA, :

You do not have to be married 10 years to share in his union retirement benefits. Whatever portion of his retirement benefits were earned during the marriage is considered "marital property" to which you are entitled to share

ANDREA, :

You might be confusing this with Social Security benefits. In the case of Social Security benefits , a spouse must be married for 10 years in order to receive benefits from the other spouse's Social Security retirement benefits

Customer:

I do know in the military 10 years is mandatory and was wanting to make sure it is/isn't the same for union retirements. thank you for the confirmation.

ANDREA, :

But, you are Okay with the union or job related retirement benefits. As I said, any portion which your spouse earned during the marriage is considered "marital property" in which you have an interest

Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience: 25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.