Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

Property deed issue 23 years ago in NJ shows dad and mom and

Property deed issue 23 years ago in NJ shows dad and mom and daughter as owners of the house. Do the deed have to have the words joint tenancy type on the deed also? I was told my sisters are also owners of the house even though they are not on the mortgage.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

If your sister's name is XXXXX XXXXX deed, she is an owner of the house. This is true regardless of whether she is also on the mortgage.

A deed indicates property ownership. A mortgage is a lien on the property to secure a debt. It is not necessary for your sister to be on the mortgage in order to have ownership in the property

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My dad die 20 years ago and my mother died 3 years ago. Base on the deed I thought I was the sole owner of the house. A freind in real estate says since I have two sisters they are part of the estate is that true? That means I cannot sale the house without their ok.

Please tell me exactly how the names were written on the deed so I can properly answer

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Deed shows--

John Doe and Mary Doe, his wife, and Emily Doe,

Thank you.

Emily owns 50% of the property. The estate of Mary Doe owns 50% of the house. If your mother died without a will, her 50% interest would have passed equally to all 3 children. This means that Emily would own 66.67% (50% +1/3 of 50%) and each sister would own 16.67% (one third of 50%)

Thank you very much for the "excellent service" rating and the bonus!

If I can be of assistance in the future, begin your question with: "For FiveStarLaw"
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

IF I WANT TO BE THE SOLE OWNER, WHAT FORMS DO WE HAVE TO FILL OUT TO CHANGE THE DEED.