Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

A couple of weeks ago, I had called my local garage, asking

Customer Question

A couple of weeks ago, I had called my local garage, asking them how much an alignment was, because the car was pulling to the right and how much a diagnostic would cost to check the brakes. I was told that there was no charge to check the brakes, it would be easy enough to do when they did the alignment. We were informed that we needed a left wheel bearing and that the job would cost, with tax, labor and parts $197.86.

We dropped the car off and they had the car for two days. On the second day, a half and hour before picking up the car, I called to confirm that my husband would be there with the check amount that they quoted us. After more than 5 conversations in the two days that they had the car, we were informed that there was another $80.00 charge for more work, that was never communicated to us and that if we didn't pay the amount the car would not be released to us....we paid the amount...but was also told that we needed more work on the brakes and this work would be discounted for $233.46, instead of $350.

We never went back to this station and in fact brought our car to another mechanic, where we were told that an alignment was never done to the car and that we should have been informed of the extra work and extra charge. We were told that our brakes are in very good working order, as there is only 60,000 miles on the car.

My question is, do we have any rights to be reimbursed for not having an alignment done and for the extra charge of $80.00 that was never communicated to us.

Thank you,
Carolyn

We have since
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Yes, you do have recourse here. What you want to do is raise the stakes on them so that they know that not complying with your demands is going to cost them far more in the end than simply giving you your refund now. Send them a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the situation and demand that they refund your money within a short specified period of time. Inform them that if your demand is not timely complied with, you will have no choice but to file a suit against them for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as fraud and deceptive trade practice actions, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. If they force you to file the suit, once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath about the losing party's assets. After that information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do appreciate your assistance with my question and would like to offer a tip, however, I am out of available cash and would like to wait for one or two more paychecks...to offer a tip...my husband is the only one working right now.

Again, thank you so much for your assistance.

Carolyn

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your kind words. And, you're welcome...it's been my pleasure to help. I neither expect or ever ask for a tip. I enjoy helping people like yourself to level the playing field and totally understand. Your follow up was tip enough! Have a great day!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You know, it's nice to know that you guys are out there, providing this service. I had to utilize Just answer knowledge one other time a few years ago and you guys were helpful then, too!...I have since recommended others to this site.

Thank you again!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the kind words! You've made my day!!