Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

Sharon here, with a question on renting and lease after one

Sharon here, with a question on renting and lease after one of the renters pass away... three people are renting a apartment together... mom passes away... is our lease null and void... or are we stuck... nothing in the lease talking about death ...just wondering if husband and i can get out of this lease early? ty
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Does the lease state that the renters are to pay separate rent or all three renters are to pay the entire amount of rent and to be held jointly and severally liable for the entire rent payment?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

one payment for all renting... one check etc...

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, if there was just one rent payment for all three tenants under the lease, that would mean that all the tenants are jointly and severally liable for the rent payment, so if one dies, the other two tenants are still liable under the lease and the only way to end the lease early is to negotiate an early termination of the lease with the landlord or to find another comparable tenant to re-rent the property.

I wish you the best of luck!