Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I wanted to know if I could get some advice from you. I made

I wanted to know if I could get some advice from you. I made an unfortunate mistake Thursday night and was booked for class c theft and PI. I pretty much got lost at a concert, ended up in the staff area and used the restroom. When I got out they had the tshirt box next to the door and I made the mistake of snagging one and they snagged me...Before this I had a clean record and want to know if the charges are available to have deferred adjudication or anything at all. If so what my steps need to be.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

If you have a clean record then you can get either deferred adjudication or, possibly, a pretrial diversion. However, you need to either hire an attorney or get a court appointed one. A pretrial diversion is where a court puts you on unsupervised probation for a little while and you may pay a fine but then if you don't get into any trouble the case is just dismissed. Most of them won't give these unless you have an attorney negotiating for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need an attorney for the deferred adjudication? Or just the pre trial deversion?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
You stand a better chance of getting both of them if you start out with an attorney. If you ask for them and the DA refuses, then they won't change their minds if you get an attorney. If your attorney starts out asking for them there is about a 90%+ chance you'll at least get deferred.

In addition, the DA may ask you questions about the case and if you don't get a deal you want then anything you tell them they'll use against you later. It is ALWAYS better to have an attorney for a criminal case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great. What do the attorneys fee run and are there ones you recommend in Houston?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
We can't give referrals but it will run somewhere between $500 and $1500 usually. If you get someone who is going to be there anyway and you tell them you just want the best plea you can get and they can wrap it up at the first appearance they will usually give you a little better price.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can we find an attorney that will already be there?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You really can't easily, you just make calls and they will tell you. You can take a chance and just show up with the money in your pocket and grab one who is there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the help on this. This cleared a lot up and has made me feel a lot better about this.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Glad to be of assistance! This service is really good for things like this, when you just need a point in the right direction or to clear up a few things.

Best wishes to you on this and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I’d suggest Excellent!) so I get credit for my work.

Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992