Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney

My brother and mom had a falling out over my brother failing

My brother and mom had a falling out over my brother failing to pay his portion of joint cell phone bill. So my mother retained possession of a firearm that he was storing at her home and she is saying she's accepting it as collateral until his debt is paid. My question is can she just assume his firearm as collateral without his consent? And does she have the right to sale it if she can not recoup the debt from him?

Hello I am a licensed attorney. I am here to help answer your questions. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification

This is an unfortunate situation, the mother has no right to take collateral, without permission,

the only way she can have the debt enforced is if she files a small claims court case for the money owed to her, not taking possession of a firearm,

also, if the firearm is not registered in her name there may be State violations of criminal issues with such an action

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The firearm was purchased by brother from my now deceased grandfather. I do not believe the registration has been transferred from my grandfather's name. Therefore does this imply it is not registered? Does this void any legal right my brother has to the gone if proof of purchase is unavailable?