Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I live in CA. Ive been with my husband for 27 years and found

I live in CA. I've been with my husband for 27 years and found out he has been cheating on me. I just lost my job on May 1st and am not exactly a healthy woman although I am looking for another job. I need my husband to pay all the bills until I get on my feet as well as alimony. What am I legally entitled to after being with this msn for 27 years. I want to file for a legal separation and want to know what I can expect.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Can you please tell me about what marital assets you currently have with your husband and also what is your husband's current income and if you obtain employment, what type of income do you expect?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm fighting to get my unemployment which if I get approved it will be $311 a week. As far as what I'll make if I do find a job soon. It will probably be about $9.00 to 13. an hour.

Dear Tabatha,

Can you please tell me about what marital assets you currently have with your husband and also what is your husband's current income
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He makes between $8000. To $10000.ok per month. We don't really have any assets. I rent a house from my mom for $500.00 pet month and my car is paid off.

Dear Tabatha,

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally, if you were married for 27 years and do not have any assets or income and your husband has significant income of around $100,000 per year or more, you could be legally entitled to have your husband pay for your legal fees and court costs related to your divorce and also you might be entitled to a permanent alimony which can be as high as 20% of your husband's gross income and which you might be able to collect permanently, unless you re-marry or start co-habituating with another man. Also you might be entitled to 50% of any of your husband's retirement benefits or other personal assets.

Every case is different and unique, so it is very important that you do consult with a local divorce attorney, before taking any legal moves and this local divorce attorney will be able to fully review your case and all the facts and related documents and would be able to design a legal strategy for you.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would he still have to be responsible for all the bills until I get on my feet?

Dear Tabatha,

Thank you for your follow up.

Your husband would be responsible to support you, while the divorce case is pending, however the support would generally be limited to the spousal support, which is generally around 20% of your husband's gross income, but your husband is not likely to be ordered to pay all of your bills plus spousal support.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wow...thank you.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please click on the "excellent service" rating, so I can receive credit for my answer. Bonus and positive feedback is always appreciated, but is not required.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney