Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

My son and his friend shot a turtle and possibly damaged the

trailer house of a neighbor. It has been at least a month and now they are claiming that there is more issues. Would this fall under my homeowner policy (even that it didn't happen on our property). If this is not an option is there a type of attorney might I need, and are there any in the Tyler area. Thanks
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Was this shooting reported to the local police?

Is the neighbor claiming damages to his/her trailer and is making demand for compensation?

How old is your son and his friend and why did they shoot a turtle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1. No law enforcement had been contacted that I am aware of.

2. Yes they are expecting payment of 9200..

3 . The boys are 15-16. They have both tken H!unter safety classed.

4. They were just trying to thin the heard. Smaller pond where the turtles can take over.
Thank you for your follow up.

Did your son and his friend shoot their guns withing city limits?

How did a bullet end up in the neighbor's trailer?

Were you given a written demand by your neighbor, stating the damages that were caused by your son and his friend ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not in city limits
I am unsure how they ended up in the trailer or that it was them that did it.

She did bring over an estimate and is expecting us to pay it.
Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, your homeowners insurance would not cover such willful action by your son, which took place outside of your property and generally homeowners insurance would only cover accidental damages on your property or related to your property.

At this point, it is generally advisable for someone in a situation similar to yours, not to discuss this matter any further, with anyone, as your son and his friend can be subject to potential criminal charges if this incident is reported to the police and to consult with a local attorney to help you resolve this unfortunate issue.

You can find an experienced local attorney by using this well trusted and reliable attorney referral / information websites:

www.martindale.com
www.justia.com
www.lawyers.com
www.lexmundi.com

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happened on my in-laws property. Would they be able to claim it?
Thank you for your follow up.

If the in-laws decide to pursue civil and criminal claim, they might be able to succeed, which would depend on the facts and evidence.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney
Do you have any related follow up questions for me?