How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 36586
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am being sued by TD Bank USA, N.A., as successor in interest

This answer was rated:

I am being sued by TD Bank USA, N.A., as successor in interest to Target National Bank, Plaintiff. I have to fil a written answer within twenty days of being served with the clerk whe issued the citation. My question is how should I answer the citation. It also states, if I do not answer a default judgement will be taken agaainst me. I do owe the amount listed on the citation and have been unable to pay Target the minimum balance due to not having enough money. This looks like I need legal help,


Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
Do you have any legal defense to the creditor's claim? (paid the debt, it isn't yours, beyond the statute of limitations, etc.)
Are you acknowledging that you do owe the debt?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I owe the money.

Ok, to be very honest with you, if you don't have a legal defense to their claims, if you file an "Answer" which is the legal response to their Complaint and Summons, it will only serve to prolong them getting a judgment against you and actually run up a higher eventual bill.
This is because if you file an Answer, that means that the case will move forward to a trial. This means that the creditor will be running up more attorney fees and costs that get added into the amount already owed. They will eventually get a judgment either way, it just depends how long it takes and how much more they run the bill up.
So it will actually be cheaper for you to allow them to get a default judgment and then try to work out some payment arrangement with them or file bankruptcy to discharge the debt.






If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.


I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.


Barrister and 7 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions