Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I am being sued by TD Bank USA, N.A., as successor in interest

I am being sued by TD Bank USA, N.A., as successor in interest to Target National Bank, Plaintiff. I have to fil a written answer within twenty days of being served with the clerk whe issued the citation. My question is how should I answer the citation. It also states, if I do not answer a default judgement will be taken agaainst me. I do owe the amount listed on the citation and have been unable to pay Target the minimum balance due to not having enough money. This looks like I need legal help,

Thanks,

Felita
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Do you have any legal defense to the creditor's claim? (paid the debt, it isn't yours, beyond the statute of limitations, etc.)
.
Are you acknowledging that you do owe the debt?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, I owe the money.

Ok, to be very honest with you, if you don't have a legal defense to their claims, if you file an "Answer" which is the legal response to their Complaint and Summons, it will only serve to prolong them getting a judgment against you and actually run up a higher eventual bill.
.
This is because if you file an Answer, that means that the case will move forward to a trial. This means that the creditor will be running up more attorney fees and costs that get added into the amount already owed. They will eventually get a judgment either way, it just depends how long it takes and how much more they run the bill up.
.
So it will actually be cheaper for you to allow them to get a default judgment and then try to work out some payment arrangement with them or file bankruptcy to discharge the debt.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

.