How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B. , Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31780
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a business owner trying to figure out my options in dealing

This answer was rated:

I am a business owner trying to figure out my options in dealing with a former employee who continues to cause problems for my business. In each of the following incidents, please tell me specifically what crime (if any) has been committed, and what penalties the former employee could be facing if I were to press charges:

1. Upon his termination, he turned in his keys to the office. However my surveillance shows that he kept a set of keys and has been using those to enter the office in the middle of the night.

2. While on the premises in the middle of the night, he has entered my and other co-workers offices, gone through personal and business papers and files, and has taken pictures of notes and papers on peoples desks.

3. More concerning, he has repeatedly placed hidden recording devices in my office and in the offices of other co workers, recording multiple private business and personal conversations.

4. He has then repeatedly shared details of those conversations with multiple people - mutual friends and colleagues.

Again, if you could tell me the specific crimes committed in each of the issues listed above, and the potential penalties, I'll be able to weigh my options. Thank you!
1. The most obvious charge just for entering is criminal trespass. However, that usually requires some type of warning or notice being given to the person telling them not to enter the premises OR that the premises be surrounded by some type of fence. However, the fact that his keys were taken from him and he is using a set that you were unaware he had should get around the warning or enclosure requirement. Entering a building, as opposed to a residence, is a class B misdemeanor and has a potential sentence of up to 90 days in jail.

2. The "messing with people's stuff" really doesn't raise the level of the crime past that described in #1.

3. It is a felony to overhear or record, through use of an electronic or mechanical device, a wire or oral communication without the consent of at least one party to that communication. Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 526.010. A person is guilty of eavesdropping when he intentionally uses any device to eavesdrop, whether or not he is present at the time. Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 526.020. This can carry a penalty of up to 1-5 years in prison.

4. KY is one of the few states that makes it a separate crime to share information obtained while recording illegally. Divulging information obtained through illegal eavesdropping is a separate crime, punishable as a misdemeanor. Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 526.060.

When you combine the entering the building with the placing of the eavesdropping devices then the combination of those two acts can be burglary and would likely be Burglary in the Third Degree which is a Class D felony and like the one above, has a potential sentence of 1-5 years in prison.


(1) A person is guilty of burglary in the third degree when, with the intent to commit a crime, he knowingly enters or remains unlawfully in a building.

(2) Burglary in the third degree is a Class D felony.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would this person potentially be liable for any civil suit, perhaps in the case of #3? What would that look like?

There is a potential civil suit either for an injunction to prevent him from coming on the property or one for damages, but nothing in your facts indicates that any damages were suffered so it would end up costing more to pursue that kind of a lawsuit than you would recover. Attorney's fees are not a recoverable item in this type of a damages suit.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 31780
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992
Dwayne B. and 10 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions