Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I have power of attorney for my mother who has Alzheimer decease.

I have power of attorney for my mother who has Alzheimer decease. I have broad powers over anything with no specific limitations. I am having cancer surgery and mom did not name anyone to replace me should I pass away. Although I know that she would be comfortable with my wife or my sister in the event of my death. My wife would probably be the most ethical and capable one. Can I amend or add one of them as my replacement
should I pass before my mother?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am very sorry to hear about your difficult situation.

Unfortunately, the Power of Attorney cannot be assigned or amended by the person to whom the power of attorney was given and if your mother does not have mental capacity to execute another power of attorney at this time, then in case if something does happen to you, your family would have to file a Petition to Establish Legal Guardianship for your mother through the local probate court.

I wish you the best of luck and speedy recovery from your surgery. Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions.