Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

My Mother left a Trust, naming my Nephew as Trustee; he an

My Mother left a Trust, naming my Nephew as Trustee; he an I as Beneficiaries. Some of her (the Trust's) property has gone into County Tax Lien as he has not paid the taxes for 6 years. He has also taken personal loans out on the property without my knowledge. If I pay the tax lien, do I also have to pay his personal loans on
the property or do they just remain as liens?
Thank you, [email protected]

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Your nephew used his interest in the property to secure personal loans, and that is where the non-tax liens originated?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, he used the property to bail his Father, my Brother, out of jail.

I see. Thank you for clarifying the situation for me, Kitty.

Yes, if you paid off the back-due taxes, the liens would typically remain on the property since you would not be purchasing it but simply paying off the tax debt to avoid a tax sale.

Paying the taxes would normally have no effect on the remaining liens, but you may wish to request an agreement from your nephew that he agrees to repay you some portion of the taxes you pay, or assert another lien against his interest in the property.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.