Thank you for your reply. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and I am afraid that this is one of these times. Allow me to explain.
1) When the original lease expires in a residential contract
, the term is automatically
month to month;
2) I am guessing your contract has run out long ago. Since then, you have been living informally month to month.
3) As such, the landlord only has to give you 30 days notice before cancelling the lease. It does not matter
what the reason is - they do not need one. They - just like you - can terminate the lease at 30 days notice.
4) He offered me no alternative living conditions while repairs take place
He does not have to. He is giving you a 30 days (more) notice about terminating the lease. Honestly, you really cannot contest it.
5) ...and stated that I can move back in 2 months afterwards at a much higher price if I want.
Right, he would be essentially re-leasing it to you, but now at a different rate.
6) Should I accept these conditions or wait and have him evict me after Sept. 1?
I cannot tell you what to do, but I can say that if you state, the landlord can
evict you if you disregard the notice, and an eviction goes on one's credit record and may make renting an apartment later on more difficult.
I am sorry. I wish I had better news. Please note: I aim to give you genuine
information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.
Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY
button to keep chatting, or RATE
my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces
and then submit
, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct.
I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating