Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

My wife was taken off of long term opiate dependency,cold turkey,

My wife was taken off of long term opiate dependency,cold turkey, which I believe caused her death, can I get help?
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.

Brandon M. :

Hello there.

Brandon M. :

I'm glad to do what I can. How can I help?

Brandon M. :

Hello, are you able to see this and respond?

Customer:

well, my wifes doctor stopped her opiate usage cold turkey, she was 56 years old with high blood preasure and other health issues, and I am convinced this caused her death

Brandon M. :

I'm sorry for your loss. How long ago did this happen?

Customer:

2/22/13

Brandon M. :

Well, stopping an opiate regime cold turkey can certainly put stress on the body. Have you spoken with any other physicians for their opinion about whether taking her off the medicine was appropriate given her delicate condition?

Customer:

no sir, I don't really know what to do, but I know about withdrawal, and I watched her slowly deteriate, to the point I knew she was in trouble and her doctor would do nothing to help her we don't have med insurance, The autopsy report said she died of sudden cardiac death, with no other explanation what caused that

Brandon M. :

Ok, please allow me to explain the law, and then allow me to recommend a course of action.

Customer:

ok, I just feel like someone should be responsible

Brandon M. :

To start, please be aware that because the nuances of every situation are different, this information should not be construed as complete or advice without consulting in person with counsel. That said, a physician who commits malpractice that foreseeably results in a patient's death is liable for the death. This is called a wrongful death suit. Under those circumstances, the family of the deceased is entitled to monetary compensation for their loss. A physician commits medical malpractice when he or she fails to exercise the standard of care that another reasonable physician would exercise in the same situation, and the failure to exercise that standard of care results in foreseeable injuries. In other words, malpractice isn't determined by the outcome, it is determined by whether the physician acted as any reasonable physician might. Each and every one of our bodies are different and they will respond differently under different circumstances, so the question is what is the reasonable standard of care, did the physician follow that standard of care, and were any resulting injuries, including death, foreseeable?

To make this determination, it sometimes requires consulting with another physician. Wrongful death cases are legally complex and potentially worth a tremendous amount of money. Most attorneys will not charge for a consultation in a wrongful death case, and many will only charge you based on what you win. If you don't know if a personal injury law firm that you would like to consult, my recommendation is to pick up your yellow pages and find the personal injury firm with the biggest advertisement to set up a consultation.

Brandon M. :

Assuming that they want to interview you, they will work with you to get some answers about how the physician's actions contributed to your death and whether the physician's actions were outside the reasonable standard of care.

Brandon M. :

Does that make sense?

Customer:

so, sounds like i need to seek a pers. injury firm , and (shoot for a wrongful death suit) I really am not wanting money i just want them held accountable for their actions money won't bringt her back but maybe they won't do it again

Brandon M. :

Yes, my recommendation is to go to a personal injury firm. If you win and decide that you don't want the money, I'm sure that you can find someone who needs it.

Customer:

well, thank you very much for your time, i was looking for a sign of a suit being a possibility, if so i know what to do i just needed to here it

Brandon M. :

I understand. Did you have any other question?

Customer:

no sir thank you and GOD bless!

Brandon M. :

My pleasure. I'm glad that my information was helpful. Have a good evening.

Brandon M. :

Sorry... it appears that you just tried to leave a rating.

Brandon M. :

I believe that there was a lock preventing it. If you wanted to try again, you should be able to do so now. Thanks.

Customer:

yeah i don't think it worked

Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience: Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.