How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 35297
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My roommate moved out at the beginning of this month and has

This answer was rated:

My roommate moved out at the beginning of this month and has not paid me for the utilities for the past 6 months. I live in NYC and he has moved to Geneva, Switzerland. I received some bank statements from his bank that he has an account with. Is there anything I can do to get my money back. The amount is about $340.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, so please don't "shoot the messenger"..... But if the person is out of the country and won't be back anytime soon, then you won't realistically be able to get your money. If you were to file a small claims action against him, you have to get good "service" on him in order to be able to proceed with the case. This typically means having someone like a sheriff or constable personally hand deliver it to him. With him out of the country, that is practically impossible.
But if he does return to the US and you can locate him, you can sue for up to 6 years from the date he left owing you money.

I am sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers, even when an answer is not favorable to the customer.







If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.


I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So his bank account details dont help either?

No, you could move to garnish them if you got a judgment against him. But to get a judgment you have to sue him. And to sue him you have to serve him the summons and complaint.
Barrister and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

Related Legal Questions