Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

Is it illegal to yell at a postal service worker over the phone,

Is it illegal to yell at a postal service worker over the phone, or use fowl language?

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

What state are you in?

Customer:

MA

JD 1992 :

Did you make any threats of any kind?

Customer:

No, I just spoke loudly and used the word f**k in the following sentence: Why the f**k didn't someone call me at that point to give me an update on the status of the package?"

JD 1992 :

Was this only one time?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

That I used that word?

JD 1992 :

Then it isn't illegal. There is MA law that covers behavior like that if it continues over a "period of time" or is a "knowing pattern" but just once wouldn't come close to meeting that.

Customer:

Could you be more specific with "behavior like that"? The fact that I spoke loudly, or the fact that I used the F word?

JD 1992 :

The statute says " a knowing pattern of conduct or series of acts over a period of time directed at a specific person, which seriously alarms that person and would cause a reasonable person to suffer substantial emotional distress".

JD 1992 :

So if you called them up every day for several days and yelled at them then it would probably meet that definition.

Customer:

Ok, that helps a lot

Customer:

also, this was a random postal service telephone operator as far as I know

JD 1992 :

I think the statute also needs the same person more than once.

Customer:

ok, thank you so much. I have been worried all day about this. I am also not the type of person that would normally yell at someone

JD 1992 :

You're very welcome. No need to worry.

Customer:

Thanks again :)

JD 1992 :

You're welcome and best wishes to you. Please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) so I get credit for my work.

Customer:

Thanks. I will definitely rate you as excellent; you were a great help

JD 1992 :

Glad to help.

Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.