Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I own a horse, that horse was raised in Kentucky, it had a

I own a horse, that horse was raised in Kentucky, it had a UUC filed against it in Kentucky while it was there. I shipped the horse to California. Can that UUC still carry its priority lien in even though the horse isn't in Kentucky anymore? I have a judgement in California that says the liens are in Kentucky and they arent good in California. How can that be? You would have to file new UCC's every time the horse moved to a different state.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation.

First of all, we have to discuss what a UCC is, and then we discuss your question.

A UCC filing, or rather a UCC-1 Financing Statement, is a filing that is put on record with the state that essentially states:

"This individual owes me a debt. If you sue this individual, or force them into bankruptcy, or whatever else, know that I stand first in line to collect!"

In other words, the filer would be a secured creditor. This gives the filer a serious advantage in any litigation/bankruptcy proceeding to be the first to get paid. By filing a UCC-1, this is called perfecting the loan by the filer, and the filer becomes a a secured creditor.

If the item is moved to another state, the law of the state to which the debtor moves will immediately govern perfection. There is no need to re-file the UCC-1. California should recognize the UCC-1 filing of Kentucky, although California may interpret the UCC-1 a bit different in nuances (because CA has a slightly different version of UCC-1 laws than KY).

So there is no need to re-file another UCC-1 in every state that the horse is in.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)