Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

I was legal guardian of my mothers affairs. She was in a

I was legal guardian of my mother's affairs. She was in a nursing home with only income going directly the home. She died last August and left with a couple hundred dollars that went away quickly for incidentals around her prepaid funeral.
Now I am being billed for medicine bills amounting to nearly $3,000. Am I responsible for them?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Are you being billed personally, or as her guardian?
.
Did you ever sign any type of financial responsibility form agreeing to pay for her care?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. Bills to her through me.

Then no, as long as you have not signed any financial responsibility forms with the home or other medical care provider, you can not be held personally responsible for any of her bills. Only her estate can be held liable and if she has no assets, then the creditors just take a loss and end up writing off the debt on their taxes.
.
You can return the bills with a post it note on it that states "Deceased, estate insolvent" and they should stop sending bills after a while.
.
.
Thanks