Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I received a closing statement from my lawyer and did sign

I received a closing statement from my lawyer and did sign and date it. I returned it.
can they change the closing statement and also change the moneys. Please tell me if this is legal for my Att to do this .I did not return it as of yet waiting for your reply. Thank you Manny lauria.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

Was this a personal injury suit? If so, did the closing statement state how much you would get and/or how much the attorneys would get?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it was a personal injury suit .yes the closing statement did state how much I would get and did state my lawer waved his fees. It looks like he decided
to charge me ...waiting for your reply Thank you .Manny sr.

Thank you for your reply, Emanuel. The reason I knew that this was a personal injury suit is because these are very standard in such a case.

The "closing statement" allows the attorney to act on your behalf, to accept the offer, sign off, pay out everyone, and then give your share to you.

can they change the closing statement and also change the moneys.

No. They cannot do so. Rather, they should not, and it is unlikely that they really will, because if they attempt to do so and you call them on it and file a bar complaint, they can lose their license! To file a complaint, see a href="$FILE/Inquiry%20Complaint%20Form.pdf?OpenElement">here.

Ergo, the vast majority of attorneys will not risk their professional livelihood over one case.

They cannot take out more than whatever was agreed in the closing statement. You may also ask for a copy for your own records and they should provide this for you.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Good luck.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ely, I need to be sure before I fax back to my atty.

Sure about what, E?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ely ,have more to talk about how do go about . Manny lauria.

It looks like you just opened another question, and it is locked by another expert.

He can answer it, or, just REPLY here and tell me what you are asking, exactly?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am sending this to customer service right now - my apologies.