John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.

Invasion Of Personal Privacy This took place 18 years ago and

Invasion Of Personal Privacy This took place 18 years ago and it still hunts me 24/7. I'm desperate for help in this matter. I'm a teacher (of 33 years) that allowed some of my students to visit me. These students took advantage of this situation by coming through my back gate without announcing their presents. They proceeded to hangout and spy through my window. I was in compromising position which I believe is out throughout my community. With the internet and all the gossip. What are my legal responsibility and do I need to respond to the internet gossip? Even if it means leaving my job as a teacher!
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. I believe I can answer your questions but need some clarifying information. What was the compromising position? What evidence do you have that the students told others about it? Were the students allowed into your yard on a regular basis; i.e., did they often visit? Lastly, have you been financially, mentally/emotionally harmed by this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The compromising position. I was enjoying myself watching a porn video. I've always have had a close relationship with my students in the past. Now some of my students do not acknowledge me. I've even had a drawing of penis on one of my posters. I told these 3 students they were allowed to come visit as long as they announced their presents. They would visit once or twice a month. Financially not yet but if I quit my job before my last 2 years. I'll lose a thousand a month. Mentally/Emotionally destroyed!!! I think about it day and night. I feel responsible and don't know how to deal with this situation or find closure!

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Because you were in the privacy of your own home and weren't for example exposing yourself in public, you are not civilly or criminally liable to anyone. You could have had a claim against the students for tortious invasion of privacy and trespass. If this happened 18 years ago, the time in which to sue (the statute of limitations) is 3 years from the date of infraction; the time to sue has passed. Even if you were able to sue the student's it be a difficult case to win - a) because it is not a direct line of causation between your quitting before your retirement date and b) it is doubtful to me that these students even have that kind of money to cover your damages. I understand your feeling of betrayal and responsibility for this, but there is no legal responsibility to you in this matter; you were really the victim; that's the legal analysis. Your best bet by my thinking is to continue therapy over the matter ( not that I'm at all qualified to refer someone to therapy but your writing reflects that you are emotionally devastated over this) and finish out your two years at the school to get your full retirement.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating; these allow me to continue to serve customers. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry we just got back from vacation. I didn't get a response to my last question. I was in compromising position which I believe is out throughout my community. With the internet and all the gossip. What are my legal responsibility and do I need to respond to the internet gossip?

I don't use the internet to voice my defense. Should I respond to the gossip or community. Is there something I can say if I'm approached with this incident?

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
At this point there is not a requirement that you respond to the gossip because you have nothing to legally gain or lose by doing so.If you feel like you must vindicate yourself in this, I personally, would state that you were the victim of trespass and invasion of your privacy, and ask whether anyone on the internet has ever done anything in the privacy of their own home, or what they thought was their privacy, that they wouldn't want known to the public. That's how I'd approach these gossips.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
John, Attorney
Experience: Licensed and practicing attorney.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing positive feedback; it is the only way I get credit for the knowledge I share. Thanks.