Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

We live in Colorado and have sublet some land to graze cattle.

We live in Colorado and have sublet some land to graze cattle. The land just got sold. The person we lease from paid for a year of grazing from January 1, 2013-January 1, 2014.
There is no written lease. Will our lease be valid until January 1, 2014. In some states they must notify the grazer by April 1 that the lease will not be renewed for the following year, but I cannot find any statute that is similar in Colorado.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
Will our lease be valid until January 1, 2014
Yes, when someone purchases property that has an existing lease on it, they take the propety subject to the existing lease terms. So essentially the new purchaser "steps into the shoes" of the old one and becomes the landlord under the same terms and conditions of the lease. The only laws I see on the books refer to public lands being leased for grazing purposes, not private lands.
The only exception would be if the landlord reserved the right to terminate the grazing lease in the event of a sale. But since this was an oral lease, that wouldn't apply.
If there is any dispute about the validity of the lease, then you might have to get something in writing from the previous owner stating that your lease is effective until Jan 2014.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.