Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

A Dr is prescribing methadone for a patient as opiate addiction

A Dr is prescribing methadone for a patient as opiate addiction treatment and another Dr is prescribing opiate medication for pain control in Arizona. The patient's urines are also routinely cocaine positive and documented in the addiction treatment facility records. In the interest of continuity of care and patient safety, is a release of information required for the Dr.'s or their designees to discuss the patient's current prescriptions and amounts? In the same vein, is a release of information required for urinalysis information?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. I'll be glad to assist you with your question.

Under HIPAA, unless the patient's health information is being used by medical professionals for treatment OR unless the patient's medical information is being given to the patient, an authorization or waiver is needed from the patient before his/her medical information can be provided to another person.

Thus, unless the information is being used for one of these purposes, an authorization is required.

I hope this answers your question, but if you need something else, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Indeed it would be used for treatment coordination between the two physicians in order to best prescribe for the patient correct?

Here's a good link you can read: http://www.hipaasurvivalguide.com/hipaa-authorization.php

As you'll see, if the information is shared between medical providers treating the patient, then there's usually no need for an authorization. However, people are so concerned with HIPAA, they may still request it to be safe.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One last question regarding this topic - is it only verbal, or can written/typed communication be shared for treatment

Both can be shared.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Including a document such as a urinalysis result?

Yes, anything in the medical records should be available.