Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Is the program Graboid that is used to download and watch tv

Customer Question

Is the program Graboid that is used to download and watch tv shows legal. I was told by my internet provider that it was. Now I am being told by someone else it is deemed illegal or fraudulent as you are downloading copyrighted material. My internet provider said it was legal as far as they could tell because you are paying for it and they were thinking the tv networks had approved it as long as you weren't downloading stuff and selling it. And it wasn't on their list of illegal ones. And there are a lot of shows you can't download such as True Blood which you can from a Torrent that is illegal, so he was saying the ones on their must be approved. I just want to be sure. My kids have used Limewire and other torrents in the past that the internet provider called and told us to quit using because they were illegal. That is why I checked on Graboid before I started using it. But I work at a law enforcement agency now and someone was questioning it and I don't want to keep using it if it is illegal. I have been using it for over 5 years now with no problem whereas when my kids downloaded some episodes of something they couldn't find from a different torrrent, we immediately got called or sent a letter saying it was illegal, and we would get one more warning then our internet would be disconnected. I do not want to accused of doing something illegal if it isn't. Plus if it is, I don't want to be using it anymore.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

In some respects Graboid is very similar to past torrent sites and the means by which the users are able to grab the link and download the file. And the answer here is really the same between the formats--if you are downloading something that is copyrighted and without permission, it is illegal, but if you are downloading something that is open source, or there is permission from the creator or holder of the copyright, it is not against the law. Limewire and BitTorrent as software are not illegal, but they can be used to download illegal movies. Here, the issue is the same and if you haven't gotten calls, and you have paid for the service, then it is quite likely legal. In essence if Graboid pays a royalty to those who have links on the site, then permits you to download for solely personal use, it is not a violation of US law.

Hope that helps.