Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs
19958803

I am a renter. I let someone who is not on the lease to use

I am a renter. I let someone who is not on the lease to use my address for their driver's license. The person was parked and a neighbor complained about the car. They looked up the tags of the car, and saw that they car was registered to someone living at the home not on the lease agreement. My landlord just sent the county to inspect the house. This person is not living here, only using the address. I was not aware of the legal repercussion of letting someone use your address. What can happen to me as result if the landlord reports this? is this Fraud? Can I go to jail?
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
Were you aware that the person was using it only for purposes of getting their driver's license?
.
Why did the landlord send the county to inspect?
.
.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for responding. Yes I was aware that is was for the driver's license. He came to visit, and a neighbor complained that the car was parked to close the house and took a picture of the license plate. The neighbor works for the property management company that we are renting the house through, and also has a personal relationship with the landlord. I came home to today to a notice from the city that an inspector came by to check the rental. I received an email yesterday from the property manager saying that the neighbor is suspecting that there is more people living in the house than on the lease. So i am assuming it is an inspection for code violations for the lease regarding occupancy.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information. If it were me, I would maintain the story that friend is only using your address to get his mail because he was inbetween homes and wanted a stable place to receive his mail.
.
I wouldn't get into the driver's license issue. That is between him and the DMV if they find out and he could be charged with fraud in application for registration and driver's license. But the fact that he has engaged in fraud wouldn't necessarily make you somehow guilty of a crime as long as you were just letting him use your address to get mail.
.
I haven't heard of a city inspector coming by at the request of the landlord to check for occupancy. It sounds like the inspector is a friend of the landlord and is doing him a favor. Once he confirms that you don't have additional people living there, that should satisfy the landlord and put the matter to rest. The landlord doesn't care about driver's license fraud, only about how many people may be living in his property.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing.There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will the city inspector ask me questions about the friend's car?

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
I would say that the most he would inquire about it to ask whose car it is and why is it there. I would respond that it is a friends who is leaving it there while they are out of town. If they ask why it is registered to that address, then you can tell them that friend is inbetween apartments or houses and is just getting their mail there until they find a new place. The landlord may force you to move the car elsewhere since it is not yours, but I doubt it will raise more interest than that.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Barrister, Attorney
Experience: 14 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 24+ yrs