WALLSTREETFIGHTER
WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney
Experience:  14 years experience in representing clients, current member of legalshield, legal club of america, NYSUT and UFT attorney
16356563

Hi, I am a software developer/manager and am looking to further

Hi, I am a software developer/manager and am looking to further my education and perhaps take my career to the next level by attending law school. There are so many possibilities for directions I could take with my 15 years of software expertise coupled with a law degree.

Because of my schedule it would be very difficult for me to attend a brick and mortar law school so I am evaluating the potential of getting a JD online. So far I have only found Concord law school and one or two others that would allow me to get an accredited but not ABA recognized law degree. It seems I could in fact still take the California bar exam but so far I have not found any other states where I could fully practice law with an online degree. I should mention that of course a brick and mortar school's degree is going to carry more weight than an online school's degree (just as in many other fields) and I recognize this. However, given the fact that I am tied to a computer most of the day monitoring systems I can easily study from home but don't have the availability to go to a physical law school. That said, I think that although it might not stand out as much as a physical school's qualifications, when coupled with my very strong technical background I will be in a very small pool with the level of competence in both areas and that on it's own should open many doors for me.

To get to the point, my question is really what does it mean to have a law degree but not be able to practice law in other states because of the bar limitations. Would this typically prevent one for getting a job with a corporation's legal team for instance? If I was with a law firm could I represent a client in the courtroom? I'm trying to be specific but I'm not sure I know the right questions to ask as to what limitations or non-limitations would I find with a law degree and no ABA. That is the information I am seeking. Thank you in advance.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Hello I am a licensed attorney. I am here to help answer your questions. Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification

WALLSTREETLAW :

Once you’ve used your online law degree to practice law in California for a few years, you may be able to work as a lawyer in additional states. Many states will permit California lawyers to take their bar exams after five to seven years of practicing law. Alternatively, you could enroll in a Master of Law program accredited by the American Bar Association. Such programs take only one or two years and will help you qualify to take the bar exam in other states. You may also practice law in federal courts located in any state.

WALLSTREETLAW :

Also, if you are admitted to CA,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you can also be admitted into Federal Courts, and practice law in other states,

WALLSTREETLAW :

It may be possible for you to take the Patent bar as well,

WALLSTREETLAW :

and with that you can work for many legal firms as Patent and IP lawyers are in demand.

Customer:

Oh that is terrific. That would let me move forward gracefully with my new career and open more and more doors as time goes by.

WALLSTREETLAW :

I would also consider night law school in your State or a part time program if possible, as the online law schools are also expensive

Customer:

Concord law school is just under 10k per year for 4 years. That is pretty inexpensive isn't it? The most competitive brick and mortar school near to me is 15k per year for 4 years or 20k per year for 3

WALLSTREETLAW :

Then it is not bad,

Customer:

Okay. Any thoughts on the future of computer forensics and how a law degree might complement my expertise in that area? Would you see that as being primarily having an advantage as a domain expert or are there other possibilities with that type of specialization that you might think of?

WALLSTREETLAW :

I would not go to law school for that, I would go to law school if you are interested in IP law, or Patent law,

WALLSTREETLAW :

For your other areas I would consider a Masters in Computer Science with that specialty

Customer:

very interesting and informative

WALLSTREETLAW :

you may want to look into forensic science as well

Customer:

now as far as the "practice law in california for n number of years" and then I could take the bar in another state would that mean like have an active practice?

Customer:

I guess that's kind of moot because an aba recognized llm is probably the shortest path

WALLSTREETLAW :

you would have to be admitted in CA, and pay the State bar fees for a certain amount of years,

WALLSTREETLAW :

you should look into the CA requirements as they may require you to have an actual office, or employment in the State.

Customer:

okay again very informative

Customer:

with forensic science do you mean that as a specialization within legal?

WALLSTREETLAW :

no a separate program,

Customer:

ahh okay

Customer:

Alright well I really do appreciate your very informed advice sir. You have a wonderful night.

WALLSTREETLAW :

good luck,

Customer:

Thanks again take care

WALLSTREETLAW :

and look into the CA license requirements as

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. I'm just following up on other alternatives to how I might be able to sit for the bar examination in Massachusetts. It's quite clear that I would not simply be able to sit if I attended Concord Law School's online program. They made an exception for one individual because the ABA was reviewing its accreditation policies for online law education at the time. They also made it very clear that this was an exception and I believe the ABA has finished that review.

So as you laid it out one option would be to pass the California bar and practice law there for a certain number of years at which point I could apply to take the bar in other states.

I'm wondering if pursing an LLM would also qualify me to sit for the bar? Also, without a license, what kind of jobs would I be able to pursue? Could I serve as general counsel for a company in Massachusetts if I had only taken and passed the California bar? Is there any question as to whether or not I would be able to sit for the patent laws bar exam (if I'm getting that right) and so specialize in intellectual property which is a very hot field in software (my current profession)

It would be possible to serve as general counsel, as you would still be an attorney, even though not licensed in Mass.

In terms of the patent bar, You do not need to be a lawyer in order to meet the requirements for the Patent Bar Exam. you will need at least a bachelor's degree in one of the specified fields of science or engineering.

An individual with a law degree, but without the proper education or training in science or engineering will not meet the Patent Bar requirements

So that may even be an option now.