Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

My twenty four year old son passed this past September. Family

My twenty four year old son passed this past September. Family friends and community members proposed that a school baseball field be dedicated in his memory. Without question all his successes make him a great candidate. I recently met with two elected school board members. One stated after a detailed presentation that my son doesn't meet her criteria. She went on to state that the school district have named facilities after employees and that they also named a school career center after a resident that donated $20,000 to the education foundation. As I inquired about the board policy and procedures, I was informed that they have none. No form to nominate someone, nothing that would require certain guidelines, like for starters does that person live in the city? So they have obviously set precedent. My question is does this precedent work in my favor or not?
Welcome and thank you for your question

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and I look forward to providing you true and correct information in this regard.

Please remember, I can only answer what you ask and so if you have follow up questions, please post them here for full and accurate information before rating.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your son.

Not having a policy seems to be a disadvantage to everyone. And so they should have policy in place and not just winging it as they deem fit. As that could lead to a discrimination lawsuit. So I suggest that you might want to go to a Board meeting and try to get them to institute some sort of Policy/Guidelines for these dedication matters.

I also suggest that you should consider contacting the Superintendent of CA Schools in your county to discuss this directly and then consider even going to the media with this matter. It seems as if the "highest" bidder is getting the dedication